Best Dermatologist in Gurgaon
Introduction to Dermatologists in Gurgaon
Dermatologists are medical practitioners that specialise in taking care of the largest organ of the body, i.e., the skin. While the best dermatologist in Gurgaon is available at Six Sigma Clinics, it is important to understand who they are and how they work to decide whether you require a consultation or not.
Who is a dermatologist?
Doctors who specialise in treating disorders or diseases regarding skin, skin appendages like nails and hair, and mucous membrane are referred to as dermatologists. Beyond this, they also address cosmetic concerns in terms of appearance enhancement of skin, nails and hair. Further, dermatologists make the initial diagnosis of sexually-transmitted diseases as these generally have skin manifestations. While oncology primarily deals with cancer, dermatologists also contribute significantly to the research and treatment of skin cancer. In terms of the patients, they range from infants to aged adults, thus having no strict age limit.
Medically qualified as doctors, they specialise further in dermatology after their initial training. In India, in order to become a dermatologist, one needs to fulfil an MBBS degree, which generally takes five and a half years to complete, and then pursue a three-year post-graduate program in dermatology, venereology and leprology. After the completion of their eight-year education, they can start practicing as dermatologists once they register with the Medical Council of India and become a member of the Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists.
What diseases do dermatologists treat?
Over 3,000 diseases and concerns come within the purview of dermatology. Some common ones include:
- Acne and acne scarring
- Hair loss
- Nail fungus
- Skin Cancer
- Alopecia Areata
- Skin infections
Types of Dermatology
As with every other medical discipline, dermatology also has sub-specialty fields beyond medical dermatology. Some of them include:
- Dermatopathology: Combining pathology and dermatology, the identification and study of diseases using samples of skin, hair, and so on comes under this. It allows dermatologists to study the causes and effects of the diseases of skin, nails and hair to be able to accurately identify and diagnose them. These medical professionals may not interact with patients directly as they primarily work in laboratories engaging in research and testing.
- Mohs Surgery: A Mohs surgeon generally treats to someone who has been diagnosed with skin cancer.
- Paediatric Dermatology: As the name suggests, dermatologists within this sub-speciality treat, diagnose and care for skin issues which afflict children, including infants and new-borns. A disease they often deal with is atopic dermatitis, which is more prevalent in children.
- Cosmetic Dermatology: Procedures and concerns that do not necessarily contribute to the maintenance of proper health and are primarily driven by aesthetic reasons come under cosmetic dermatology. In extreme cases, cosmetic dermatologists perform surgery to reduce scars on a patient. Many of them specialise further in areas such as hair removal or skin rejuvenation.
- Immunodermatologists: These sub-specialists focus on examining the relationship of the skin and our immune system. Similar to dermapathologists, immunodermatologists also mainly work in laboratories, experimenting to assess the relationship and develop solutions for skin diseases that are closely associated with the immune system. Such diseases include eczema and contact dermatitis.
Common procedures and treatments in dermatology
There are a variety of procedures you can expect within a dermatological treatment:
- Chemical Peels to remove damaged skin
- Cosmetic injections such as Botox or collagen fillers to diminish the appearance of wrinkles or sagging skin
- Cryotherapy or cryosurgery which involves exposure to extremely cold temperatures to treat skin concerns like warts
- Dermabrasion to reduce the appearance of fine lines and scar tissue
- Hair removal
- Hair restoration
- Excision surgery of lesions
- Vein procedures such as sclerotherapy to treat varicose and spider veins
- Laser surgery to treat tumours, warts, moles, scars, hair, etc.
- Skin grafts or flaps for repairing or restoring skin
- Tumescent liposuction to remove unwanted fat from the body
- Mohs surgery
Visiting a dermatologist
Considering the commonness of skin diseases, it is recommended to get regular annual check-ups to ensure every thing is under control. However, there are certain signs that may be a cause of concern, and thus warrant a visit to the dermatologist. Indicators of skin issues include rashes, itchy, flaky or scaly skin, bumps, moles and warts. You can also consider visiting the dermatologist in case of acne, sun damage or wrinkles. Since they treat issues of hair and nails, a consultation is recommended in cases of hair loss, dandruff or problems concerning the fingernails. In summation, if you notice a shift from normalcy in terms of your skin, nail or hair health, visiting a dermatologist is the is the way to go.
It is also important to come prepared to your first dermatologist appointment. Be ready with a list of concerns that you would like to discuss. Additionally, have your medical information at hand, i.e., whether you have felt drastic changes in your health, any family medical history related to skin issues and a list of known allergies. Finally, if you are a user of cosmetic products like nail paints or makeup, avoid wearing them to the consultation. This will aid you dermatologist to arrive at an accurate diagnosis.
Best Dermatologist in Gurgaon
While some visit the dermatologist due to a referral or recommendation, if you are in search of the best dermatologist in Gurgaon for skin, hair or acne you have arrived at the right place. Six Sigma Clinics, Nirvana Country, Gurgaon, houses a highly skilled and experienced dermatologist. Renowned for attention to detail, accurate diagnosis and devoted care of the patients, our expert will surely attend to all your concerns. You can learn more about our dermatologist and fix a consultation at Six Sigma Clinics!